Friday, April 4, 2008

The Joys of Sidewalk Chalk

I took my Chemistry 12 students out into the parking lot with a bucket of sidewalk chalk last semester. We had been talking about s, p, d and f orbitals and I love doing role play. I do a lot of role play in Biology. We chose a small element and went through the energy diagram for it, placing electrons (running students) in one at a time. It was interesting the questions that came up or occurred to me while we were doing this. You could see more clearly that some of the orbitals would overlap and were of a similar energy. One could also see that it is interesting to "look" at the atom at such a minute level and "zoom" in, so to speak.

I found that some students found it quite helpful and some found it confusing or really unhelpful. That was worth thinking about because it told me something about what kind of learners that they were.

A number of colleagues asked me about it because they saw me heading out into the parking lot with a bucket of chalk and my grade 12s. Also, I was able to ask for clarification from another fellow teacher as we moved through it.

It was definitely worthwhile to break out of the classroom and I will be searching for more small ways to do so.

1 comment:

Errol said...

OH, it's YOU! *LAUGH*

I thought I knew who you were, then I did a search in my gmail, and realized you weren't the person I thought and I was confused. *LAUGH*

So I'm glad you put your pic, else I'd still be wondering who you were.

Why do I call her Dove? Pet name, that's all. Started calling her that, and it stuck.

I don't think you really want to know how I made that banner, but I'll tell you because no one really knows how much work I put into these things. *laugh*

I took the original banner and I cut out the insides of it so I only have the mechanical border. There are only three 'starcraft' backgrounds used in the original banner, all of which are wallpapers off of the Blizzard site, so I got those wallpapers and found four pics of Dove in similar poses as the different aliens in the banner.

I cut her out, placed her in, tried to make sure the colouring is similar to the background, and voila!

Next, I take the original StarCraft title and convert it into Dove. I take the top part of the 'C', and rotate it, to make a 'D'. I take the bottom part of the 'C', duplicate it, rotate it, make it smaller, and I have a small 'o'. The 'v' is just an upside down 'a' with the middle bar missing, and the 'e' is just the 'f' with an extra bar added!

The 'ten years' was simple enough, just found a similar font.. but I positioned it incorrectly and could have made the border bigger, but I wasn't going for exact replication, just a close enough facsimile.

There ya go! *laugh*

And if you want fan art, there IS Geek Love Note #9. That took me four days to make.

BTW, one of my favourite Indian dishes is Saag Paneer. I don't know why I love that dish so much.