Thursday, July 24, 2008

Steve Spangler's Demo a Week E-mail

http://www,stevespanglerscience.com
I do not usually tout people's products but I recently visited the Steve Spangler website (http://www.stevespanglerscience.com/) and signed up to receive a weekly e-mail that features a different demo a week! It also shows a product that you can purchase but what can you expect?



This week's demo was the 7 layer density column, a colourful demonstration where you carefully pour different layers of liquids that settle into discrete layers due to their different densities. It is a demo that I already do, but he does it better. There are videos to show you how he does it and a full write up.



You can link to Steve's blog and it's really good for getting ideas! There are a lot of demonstrations shown of him on different TV shows and I have noticed that he doesn't always explain the science fully. One demonstration that I am keenly interested is the self-carving pumpkin (or watermelon). You carve the pumpkin from the inside, cut it to scoop out the content and make a hatch at the back so that you can insert materials to do the demonstration. Whatever reaction he does is explosive enough that it blows the eyes, nose and mouth out of the pumpkin! It is very cool! Now that I have heard about it, it's only a matter of time that I find out how!

2 comments:

Mamacita (The REAL one) said...

I, too, am a huge Steve Spangler fan, and also a huge fan of his fantastic Experiment of the Week. Ever since I signed up for that, we've not had a boring summer day yet this season! Other "science guys" charge a fee for their science goodies (Robert Krampf, for example) but Steve Spangler puts it all out there for free. It's lovely to discover other Spangler fans out there!

Kristen said...

Hi, I'm also very interested in finding the recipe for the gas reaction in the exploding watermelon experiment. I was wondering if you'd found it out yet?